What is the Konjac Plant?
The Konjac Plant
The Konjac plant, or the root, is a Japanese root vegetable that is full of fibre. People in East Asia have been using this plant for thousands of years and is mainly grown in Asian countries. The konjac plant comes from the same family as potatoes and it contains a soluble fibre called glucomannan. In fact, it has the highest molecular weight and consistency as any known dietary fibre.
The Konjac plant is 97% water and 3% is Glucomannan (dietary fiber). It is also rich in mineral goodness and low in calories. Naturally alkaline, Konjac is pH neutral which leaves skin perfectly balanced.
Here are some of its natural goodness:
Protein, carbohydrate, iron, phosphorus, copper, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin D, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin C and folic acid.
13 Benefits of the Konjac Plant
- Anti-inflammatory – helps with bone and joint health
- Weight Loss Supplements – suppressed appetite and boost weight loss
- Weight Loss Foods – for e.g. made into konjac noodles; has less carbohydrates and less calories
- Helps control diabetes – Glucomannan is a great agent to help control sugar levels in the body
- Improves digestion – Konjac is water soluble and therefore aids digestion
- Controlled blood pressure – including konjac root into your diet can help to stabilise blood pressure levels
- Absorbs minerals – any foods and drinks you ingest will be able to be used more effectively
- Oral health benefits – the anti-bacterial properties in the konjac plant can help with toothache, have cleaner teeth and fight bacteria
- Eye health – help decrease eye inflammation, strengthen optical nerves and keep your eyes healthy
- Increased immunity – help fight common diseases such as cold and flu more effectively
- Boost metabolism – help increase energy levels and boost metabolism which aids in weight loss
- Aiding PMS symptoms – the vitamins and minerals in the konjac plant can help overcome some of the symptoms of PMS for women if you add this plant into your diet.
Last but not least, our favourite reason why we love the Konjac Plant so much:
13. Better, clearer and more supple skin
The Konjac Sponges are a great choice if you are looking for a natural beauty product to help clean your face from daily dirt and grime. Thanks to their antibacterial properties, they can help to combat oily skin, reduce acne and even help with complicated skin problems such as rosacea and eczema.
These sponges are also natural and biodegradable, so when you have finished using them, you can easily put them in your compost.
100% Natural, Biodegradable,
Naturally Sustainable, Environmentally Safe
“My skin was going crazy, it was painful and wasn’t nice to look at… Now my skin has cleared up a great deal and I am only left with a tiny bit of acne redness/scarring which is fading each week. I use my konjac sponges morning and night after my cleanser.”